Monica Cooper is an experienced Treasurer with a demonstrated history of working in the government administration industry. Cooper is skilled in Nonprofit Organizations, Sales and Government.
Monica Cooper started her educational journey at St. Leo University FL and Phoenix University where she studied Accounting and Auditing. From there, Cooper went on to receive her Associate of Arts Degree in Liberal Arts from Long Beach Community College. Following that, Monica Cooper continued her education at California State University Dominguez Hills where she received both her Bachelor’s Degree and Master’s Degree in Public Administration.
Following school, for over 19 years, Monica Cooper worked for the State of California. Throughout those 19 years, Monica Cooper took on various roles including Project Manager, Administrator and Illegal Activities Coordinator. During that time, Monica Cooper was the Project Manager for the No Cash Policy-State Agency. She also worked as the State Agency Project Manager, where she managed the largest revenue generating Public Service Department within the State Agency employed. As the Illegal Activities Coordinator, Monica Cooper determined tax liabilities on income earned illegally and executed seizure of funds. In 2015, Monica Cooper took on the role of City Treasurer in Carson, California, where she continues to serve today.
As The City Treasurer, Monica Cooper is responsible for the investment of the City, Carson Successor Agency, Carson Reclamation Authority, and Housing Authority funds. Treasurer Cooper also oversees banking services, proper cash flow and custody service agreements and ensuring that investments conform to the City’s adopted investment policy. Through prudent fiscal investment management, Treasurer Monica Cooper ensures the City’s cash liquidity needs are met and principal is preserved and achieve at a reasonable rate of return within the parameters of prudent risk management while minimizing the potential for capital losses arising from market changes or issuer default. As Treasurer, Monica Cooper oversees $100+ million investment portfolio, which contains instruments such as Federal Agencies, high-grade corporate bonds, collateralized, negotiable CDs and money market accounts.
- Treasurer Carson Kiwanis Association-(youth centered organization)
- Treasurer, Carson Toastmaster Club
- Member Carson Women’s Club, Past member Carson Utility User’s Tax Citizens Budget Oversight Committee
- Past Member, Long Beach Child Development Center Board of Directors
- Carson Sheriff Civilian Academy Graduate
- Member, Carson Sister Cities Association
- Carson Literacy Program
- Member, Board of Directors for the Carson/Gardena YMCA
- Provide College Scholarships to graduating Carson Seniors
- City of Carson Student Cultural Exchange Host
- State of California Administrator
- Investment Manager
- 540 Club Treasurer
- Master’s Degree Public Administration(M.P.A), California State University Dominguez Hills
- Bachelor’s Degree in Public Administration- California State University Dominguez Hills
- Associate of Arts Degree, Liberal Arts Long Beach Community College
- St. Leo University FL and Phoenix University – Accounting/Auditing
- Certified Public Funds Investment Manager
- Fixed Income Academy Bond School
- Chartered Financial Analyst Institute
- Investments Foundation Certification
- Certified Fixed Income Practitioner
- California Treasury Certification
- California Certified Municipal Treasurer
- California Municipal Treasurers Association
- Association of Public Treasurers U.S & Canada
- Government Investment Officers Association
In today's tumultuous political climate, there are more and more people choosing to become involved in their local government. It can often be overwhelming to try to figure out the best way to get started and make a difference. Here are a few easy ways to get your...
Behind every functioning city stands a group of city officials. This group of individuals work day and night utilizing their collective knowledge, experience and leadership abilities to ensure the successful operation of a city. These positions can take on many...
Being responsible for a city’s revenue takes a lot of time, patience and talent. Hundreds of city officials around the country put in long hours day in and day out to ensure their city’s revenue is being handled properly. And as one of those city officials, I know...
Welcome to Treasurer, Monica Cooper's blog, check back for updates!